Monday, May 23, 2011

What a trip!!!

Well since I have some time while I wait for our delayed flight from Denver to Dallas I wanted to give everyone a brief update.

We are halfway back to Arkansas, so far so good. I am ready to get back and see Carson and Leia and I already miss Costa Rica.

For anyone who has not heard already, we had a bit of a hiccup on the road to Costa Rica. Well lets put aside the metaphors and tell it like it is, or was.... It was actually a small log that was in the middle of the Interstate. We were driving from Benton to Dallas to get on the first flight that would take us to Denver. Yes I did say Denver, you thought we were going to Costa Rica? Well that's what we thought too and we are still a bit confused by the logic of it all. Somewhere there is a guy that sits behind his computer comes up with these crazy flight plans. While the rest of us would assume a direct flight from Dallas to Costa Rica would be cheaper, he has other ideas. Silly mortals, don't you know that there is some kind of law of Aeronautics that dictates that a straight line is not always the best or most economical way to get somewhere. While 2 wrongs don't make a right, 3 lefts do.....Such is the logic of commercial airlines.

But anyway, I digress. We were a few miles past Sulpher Springs Texas when we came over a hill and there was a log right in the middle of my lane. I had nowhere to go with an 18 wheeler beside me in the right lane, so in the split second I had, I centered up over the log hoping we would clear it. The very loud bang and the alarming noises and smoke coming from the engine told me that was false hope on my part. Well we pulled over and after several frantic phone calls to friends in the area as well as tow trucks, car rental agencies, even a couple limosine companies, we were able to get back on the road. Thank the Lord that we had a brother in Christ and a friend of his that lived sort of close by that were able to help us get to the airport without missing our flight!!! God bless you for sacrificing your Saturday to come help us.

So our vehicle has not been fixed yet and there is a chance it may be totalled by the insurance company. I did not think the damage was that substantial, but the insurance company only cares about how much the damage costs based on how much the vehicle is worth. We have a rental car waiting in Dallas that will get us home. Keep us in your prayers that something will work out to resolve that problem. We were so busy in Costa Rica that we did not have time to even think about it but now we have no choice. Oh well, such is life.

That one thing was but the first of many memorable things that happened on this trip. If I was a pessimist then all the things that happened to us would have been disasterous. However, God is good and he watched over us and protected us through all the trials and tribulations and he also blessed us beyond all expectation.

1 Corinthians 10:13 says; There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it. Did he ever give us a way to escape and bear it all with ease. The people we met and snuck into our hearts made it all worth it.

I better wrap up this so called brief update, our airplane is finally here. I will fill you in on more details later. Hasta Luego and Dios les Bendiga!!

-David

No comments:

Post a Comment